Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What is ok during pregnancy?

I love tea. My husband and I are tea fanatics. Before I got pregnant I drank anywhere from four to six and onward cups a day. Well, now if I even think about tea past 3pm I will undoubtedly be wide awake all night. My body will sleep but my head will be dashing from subject to subject like a three year old whose diet consists of nothing but sugar. I may sleep but I wake up feeling just as tired as I went to bed.
What is with that? Before I was pregnant I could drink four cups a day and not feel a thing. I am not a coffee drinker by nature (I think it tastes nasty) but even the tolerably coffee experiences I have had don't leave me buzzed. Well, except for a grande caramel macchiato but I think there's a reason for that.
Our bodies must absorb differently during pregnancy...Fifty years ago when my husbands grandmother was having children she was told that she could eat and drink anything. Consequently she drank heavily enough that my husbands father had symptoms of fetal alcohol syndrome (mainly large head and small hands). Twenty years after that my husband's Aunts were told the reverse; that everything affects the baby and to avoid all alcohol, smoking and to be very careful about what they ate.
Another twenty years later what are we being told? I have been told not to smoke, which is fine because it is not a habit I practice. I have been told that I can drink - in sensible amounts. A glass of wine is fine but getting smashed is not. I have been told to avoid hot dogs and any processed meats. If allergies run in the family I should avoid nuts or anything that caused allergy symptoms. More importantly I have been told that my body will naturally filter out (to a degree) things that can potentially harm my baby.
What have you been told?

No comments:

Post a Comment