Saturday, July 3, 2010

Embracing the Pregnancy

When discussing with my husband what I should write next about I asked him, "What are some things we have experienced so far?" His reply; "Moodiness!". Very.funny... However it's true, I would even venture to say that not only have I been more moody but so has he!
As a young married couple the stress of an unexpected pregnancy could be devastating. The stress of being a young married couple is stressful enough! We don't own a house...I think the only things we actually have to our name that are worth something is a laptop, a 50" TV (remember, my husband is a nerd) and two Toyotoa's (bought used of course!!). But in retrospect I think we have done well - not to say we haven't had our moments of stress, fear and uncertainty. My husband and I have the attitude that all things happen for a reason, and the best thing we can do is to embrace the changes and surprises that God gives us. This has been a comfort when those questions of, "How are we going to afford all the needs of a baby?" pop up.
Lucky for us, the natural way of having and raising a child means that first year will save us around three thousand dollars (which is the cost alone of formula and diapers for one year). This doesn't include the reducton of costs like the increased visits to the doctors for formula fed babies or the cost of setting up a baby room (we are going to co-sleep as my husband says "You can co-sleep - i'm just going to sleep!" and He's right!).
For $9 I have also made my own nursing pads, two receiving blankets and a bib. I guess being resourceful helps!
One of the biggest and hardest decisions for an unexpected pregnancy is when the mother is going back to work. For us we knew that when we had kids I would be staying home with them. It wasn't even an option to have someone else raise our children. I think the most helpful thing for me has been finding a job that I started while pregnant, which I can carry through pregnancy and after birth. Being a WAHM (working at home mother) is empowering - and helpful for the budget! To my surprise it was a lot easier than I had expected. Getting into a working rhythm at home can be tricky, so starting before the baby comes helps build structure.
If you're expecting a surprise baby be resourceful! You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a happy baby. How are you embracing your pregnancy?

1 comment:

  1. well i'm not pregnant.. but yes. learning how to embrace your pregnancy is the key first step. something i didnt do very well with my last pregnancy. after loosing two and deciding to wait before getting pregnant and then suddenly being pregnant again can put ones emotions in a tail spin. sounds like you are doing well kaitlyn! i'm happy to be your first follower.. i'll link you up when i get a chance so you can meet other moms and gain followers.
    i'll even click your ads.. if you click mine ;)

    leah

    ReplyDelete