Saturday, July 10, 2010

Futureshop is the devil

Well today sucked basically.
It was our 6-months-of-being-married-versary and it started out by my husband informing me that he had accidently put the computer chair leg on my blackberry. I had a blackberry curve, it was about a year old. I was a little rough on it I guess, a couple of scratches here and there but it worked perfectly. Until today. The entire screen cracked from left to right. We also believe that it short circuited when we tried to put the battery back in and start it up as the battery smells like burning and the battery connectors on the back also had a burn mark on the one side. We do not believe this was related to the crack in the screen, as it was a surface crack.
Now I won't get into the legalities of who left the blackberry to charge on the floor...as that will start an arguement. I will say that I usually leave it to charge on my husbands side of the desk, which irritates him and so he usually puts it on the floor. However, he doesn't usually subsequently put his chair on it... Anyways, my phone was done. I have been paying into a "Product Exchange Plan" with Future Shop (which is where I purchased the phone over a year ago). I did not realise that this plan was a contract that I had somehow signed into for three years as the trusty Future Shop employee never explain such to me at the time. This is beside the point of why FS really means f-ng sh-. (Pardon me!)
Apparently the PEP (product exchange program) does not cover any physical damage. We drove to three different FS stores, and spoke with representatives of the PEP on the phone from 12pm until 5:00pm today. Representatives on the phone told us that provided the physical damage was not related to the technical problem with the phone then the product could be exchanged and I was eligable for a new phone. FS store representatives and general managers told us that the 'people' they sent the phone away to would see the cracked screen and state this as the cause of the phones untimely death and then they would have to pay out of pocket for the phone.
Do I care? No.
So essentially I have been paying 10 dollars a month, which is at least 150.00 dollars worth by this point, for nothing. The only thing that was offered to me was to buy a new blackberry for 220.00 and continue with two more years in my plan. Well, why would I do that when I can get a phone for free?
My concluding statement is:
Future Shop is a scam. Do not get their product exchange plan because they do not actually exchange any products. It is a rip off, it is misinformative and it will screw you over.

Needless to say, my husband and I will not be making any further purchases at Future Shop. And neither should you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can't stand these companies. Once something happens to your cell phone/blackberry, you can come to expect a new $200 bill or more to buy another one. Their service plans and product exchange plans always come in fine print. We're out about $300 to replace my husband's cell phone--he soaked it, along with the rest of my kitchen, when trying to repair our kitchen faucet. Not a happy moment to say the least. I hear your pain!

    ReplyDelete