Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nursing Dreams

I went to my first La Leche League meeting yesterday. It was smaller than I expected, but it was good. We met outside at a park and I definately got a good burn.
In the last week I've had two different dreams about nursing. The first dream went something like this: I went into labour, had my baby within a couple of hours and then was trying to nurse. It was a pretty realistic dream, other than the labour being virtually painless and being fast - oh and I think I decided to have my baby. The nursing part was so realistic I could feel everything and was convinced it was actually happening. Most of my dream was just about sitting there nursing. When I woke up I had a little panic because I was confused, where was my baby? And then I realised I was still pregnant.
Last night or maybe early this morning, I had a dream about trying to nurse my niece. She is three now but in my dream I think she was one and a half or two. My sister said it would be good practice, but I was having trouble getting her latched on. Infact, it hurt. She seemed to be getting impatient and there wasn't much milk coming out. Then my sister came over and said I was doing it wrong. She repositioned me and it was much more comfortable and I had lots of milk. I remember wanting to practice before the baby came.
Weird. I don't really have anxieties about breastfeeding but my dreams would say the contrary. I am nervous it will hurt, that I won't be able to get my baby to latch properly (and that's why it will hurt) and that I won't have enough milk supply. I know the solution to all of these things!
The next thing I am going to be dreaming about is trying to nurse in a baby carrier or wrap and having my baby fall out or something absurd. Either that or being told off for publicly breastfeeding.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, don't worry about it! It DOES hurt, though- at first. Even with a proper latch. If you can get through the first week-week and a half, it won't hurt any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I have dreams about being pregnant and "deciding" to have the baby too! And something goes wrong (like it's not a boy to carry on the family name or something silly) so I have to keep pushing out babies, faster than I can name them. It stresses me out because I can't think up good girl names that fast.

    ...Then I wake up and wonder if I'm being haunted by pregnancy instincts because I'm currently in prime baby-making years. I never used to have such a dream in my teens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just part of the mommy worries. You will do fine! It does hurt at first, but before you know it you will be a pro!

    ReplyDelete